This text first appeared in West Level’s Trendy Struggle Institute.
We simply accomplished the seventh week of our new nationwide safety class at Stanford – Expertise, Innovation and Nice Energy Competitors. Joe Felter, Raj Shah and I designed the category to cowl how expertise will form the character and employment of all devices of nationwide energy.
In class 1, we realized that nationwide energy is the sum of all of the assets out there to a state to pursue its nationwide targets and pursuits. This energy is wielded by a mix of a rustic’s diplomacy, info, its army capabilities, financial energy, finance, intelligence, and legislation enforcement. These devices of nationwide energy employed in a “entire of presidency method” to advance a state’s pursuits are recognized by the acronym DIME-FIL.
Class 2 centered on China, the U.S.’s main nice energy competitor. China is utilizing all parts of its nationwide energy, e.g. info/ intelligence, its army would possibly and financial energy in addition to exploiting Western finance and expertise. China’s purpose is to problem and overturn the U.S.-led liberal worldwide order and change it with its personal neo-totalitarian mannequin the place China emerges because the dominant regional and world energy.
The third class centered on Russia, which since 2014 has asserted itself as a competing nice energy. We realized how Russia pursues safety and financial pursuits in parallel with its ideological goals.
The fourth class shifted our focus to the affect business applied sciences have on the devices of nationwide energy (DIME-FIL). The primary expertise we examined was semiconductors, and the U.S. dependence on TSMC in Taiwan, for its most superior logic chips.
In the fifth class we examined the affect that AI and Machine Studying will proceed to have on the capabilities and employment of DIME-FIL.
In class six we mentioned unmanned techniques and autonomy and the way the arrival of those weapons will change operational ideas and the face of conflict.
Immediately’s class: The Second Area Age: Nice Energy Competitors in Area.
The Chilly Struggle: Area Race 1.0
Area as a Area
Age of Nice Energy Competitors: Area Race 2.0
- William J. Broad, “How Area Turned the Subsequent ‘Nice Energy’ Contest Between the U.S. and China” New York Instances, Jan. 24, 2021.
- Luke Harding, “The Area Race is Again On—However Who Will Win?” Guardian, July 16, 2021.
- Tim Harford, “The CubeSat Revolution Altering the Approach We See the World” BBC Information, July 17, 2019.
- Alexander Bowe, “China’s Pursuit of Area Energy Standing and Implications for the USA” U.S.-China Financial and Safety Assessment Fee, Apr. 11, 2019.
- Greg Autry & Steve Kwast, “America is Shedding the Second Area Race to China” International Coverage, Aug. 22, 2019.
America’s Area Forces
- “Protection Primer: America Area Power” Congressional Analysis Service
- “What’s With All of the U.S. Area-Associated Companies” U.S. Division of Protection, Dec. 14, 2020.
- Bryan Bender, “What the Area Power Is, and Isn’t” Politico, Feb. 03, 2021.
- John W. Raymond, “How We’re Constructing a Twenty first-Century Area Power” The Atlantic, Dec. 20, 2020.
- “United States Area Power” U.S. Division of Protection, Feb. 2019.
- “DOD Area Technique”, U.S. Division of Protection, 2021.
Area Threats & Non-State Actors
- Harsh Vasani, “How China Is Weaponizing Outer Area” The Diplomat, Jan. 19, 2017.
- Hanneke Weitering, “Russia Has Launched an Anti-Satellite tv for pc Missile Take a look at, US Area Command Says” Area.com, Dec. 16, 2020
- Andre Kwok, “The Rising Menace of Cybercrime within the Area Area” East Asia Discussion board, Sept. 9, 2021.
Studying Task Questions
Choose one of many beneath questions and reply in roughly 100 phrases, primarily based on the required readings.
- Describe America’s area belongings and the function of the U.S. Area Power in defending and using these belongings. Because the U.S. Area Power continues to develop, what adjustments in technique and/or addition to its portfolio of tasks would you suggest?
- What’s the best present risk to U.S. pursuits in area? What suggestions would you could have for the U.S. and its companions to mitigate that risk?
Class 7 – Visitor Speaker
Our visitor speaker was Normal John Raymond, Chief of Area Operations. He’s the primary Chief of Area Operations, U.S. Area Power. Area Power has three main instructions — Area Operations Command, Area Techniques Command, and Area Coaching and Readiness Command.
The Area Power was born as a separate service in December 2019. Beforehand Normal Raymond led re-establishment of U.S. Area Command as eleventh U.S. combatant command, and was for a yr the pinnacle of each a service (Area Power) and a combatant command (Area Command).
Raymond mentioned a spotlight for the Area Power is being lean and quick, revolutionary and unified.
Area was as soon as thought-about “benign,” largely uninhabited besides by the USA and Russia and the Soviet Union. Immediately it is way extra crowded and harmful. Raymond identified that the power to function in area is important not solely to guard U.S. safety, but in addition to energy the U.S. and world financial system, communications, transportation and different important capabilities of on a regular basis life.
“Area is clearly a warfighting area and we’re satisfied that if deterrence have been to fail, we’re going to should combat and win the battle for area superiority,” he mentioned.
When you can’t see the lecture 7 slides click on right here.
- Our army is determined by our belongings in area (satellites) for communication, navigation, situational consciousness (through picture, radar and digital intelligence satellites) warning and concentrating on
- Our civilian financial system additionally is determined by area belongings for GPS and communication
- Area is now a contested surroundings with China and Russia able to disabling/destroying our satellites
- Utilizing directed vitality (lasers), cyber, digital warfare, floor or space-based kinetic weapons
Filed beneath: Expertise Innovation and Trendy Struggle and Nice Energy Competitors |