This text first appeared in West Level’s Fashionable Struggle Institute.
We simply accomplished the fifth week of our new nationwide safety class at Stanford – Expertise, Innovation and Nice Energy Competitors. Joe Felter, Raj Shah and I designed the category to cowl how expertise will form all the weather of nationwide energy (America’s affect and footprint on the world stage).
In class 1, we realized that nationwide energy is the mixture of a rustic’s diplomacy, data/intelligence, its army capabilities, financial energy, finance, intelligence, and legislation enforcement. This “entire of presidency strategy” is thought by the acronym DIME-FIL.
Class 2 targeted on China, the U.S.’s main nice energy competitor. China is utilizing all components of nationwide energy: diplomacy (gentle energy, alliances, coercion), data/ intelligence, its army may and financial energy (Belt and Street Initiative) in addition to exploiting Western finance and expertise. China’s objective is to problem and overturn the U.S.-led liberal worldwide order and change it with a neo-totalitarian mannequin.
The third class targeted on Russia, which since 2014 has asserted itself as a competing nice energy. We realized how Russia pursues safety and financial pursuits in parallel with its ideological goals. At occasions, these targets complement one another. At different occasions they conflict, as Russian coverage is run by Vladimir Putin and his political establishments.
The fourth class shifted our focus to the impression business applied sciences have on DIME-FIL. The primary expertise we examined had been semiconductors, the oil of the twenty first century. The U.S. depends on TSMC, positioned in Taiwan, for its most superior logic chips. That is problematic as China claims Taiwan is a province of China.
Immediately’s class: Synthetic Intelligence / Machine Studying
Introduction to AI
The AI Arms Race: Truth or Fiction?
China’s AI Technique
- Jeffrey Ding, “China’s Present Capabilities, Insurance policies, and Industrial Ecosystem in AI” Testimony earlier than the U.S.-China Financial and Safety Assessment Fee Listening to on Expertise, Commerce, and Army-Civil Fusion: China’s Pursuit of Synthetic Intelligence, New Supplies, and New Vitality, June 7, 2019.
- Helen Toner, “Expertise, Commerce, and Army-Civil Fusion: China’s Pursuit of Synthetic Intelligence, New Supplies, and New Vitality” Testimony earlier than the U.S.-China Financial and Safety Assessment Fee, June 7, 2019.
- Ryan Fedasiuk, Jennifer Melot, Ben Murphy, “Harnessed Lightning, How the Chinese language Army is Adopting Synthetic Intelligence Heart for Safety and Rising Expertise (CSET)
Russian AI Technique
US AI Technique
Different AI and Nationwide Safety Assets
Studying Project Questions:
Decide one of many beneath questions and reply in roughly 100 phrases, based mostly on the required readings. Please word that this project might be graded and rely in direction of course participation.
- How would you characterize the geopolitical AI Arms Race? Is an “arms race” the correct lens by way of which to know this phenomenon, or is there one other method to higher perceive nice energy competitors within the AI area?
- Can the U.S. be taught any classes from China’s AI technique?
Class 5 – Visitor Audio system
Our audio system for our fifth class had been Mike Brown, Nand Mulchandani and Jacqueline Tame.
Mike Brown is the director of the Protection Innovation Unit (DIU) – a Division of Protection group that contracts with business firms to unravel nationwide safety issues. Beforehand Mike was the CEO of Symantec and Quantum.
Jacqueline Tame was the previous Performing Deputy Director of the JAIC and the architect of the JAIC “Gamechanger,” an AI-driven Coverage Evaluation Device.
Mike Brown led off the session with an outline of the Protection Innovation Unit (DIU).
If you happen to can’t see Mike Brown’s Protection Innovation Unit presentation click on right here.
Key takeaways from Mike’s discuss had been that 1) 50 years in the past defense-related R&D made up 36% of world R&D. Immediately, defense-related R&D is 4%. Key applied sciences wanted by protection at present are made by business firms (5G, AI, biotech, quantum, entry to area, batteries, and so on.) 2) The highest tech firms (Fb, Alphabet, Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple) outspend U.S. prime contractors 11 to 1 in R&D ($70.5B versus $6.2B.)
DIU’s position is to seek out after which funnel business expertise into the DoD by prototyping, transitioning, and scaling options. They’ve (by DoD requirements) a particularly quick pipeline from downside curation, to evaluating and choosing firms, then prototyping tasks and inserting them into DoD applications. AI/MLis among the six core areas DIU focuses on (together with area, autonomy, superior vitality and supplies, cyber and human programs.) DIU AI/ML has three traces of effort: machine Studying predictions, large information evaluation, enhanced choice making.
Gamechanger makes use of AI to deal with an issue solely a authorities might create. The DoD and federal rules have 10’s of hundreds of insurance policies, legal guidelines, rules that inform decision-makers what they will or can not do. These exist elsewhere on completely different networks and alter nearly day by day. Now you could possibly merely kind a pure language question that asks, “Do I’ve the authority do x?” Or, “How should buy this merchandise rapidly?” and so on.
If you happen to can’t see the slides, click on right here
Our first dialogue at school (Slide 7) was whether or not Nicholas Chaillan’s (the primary Air Power Chief Software program Officer) declare that we’ve got already misplaced the AI battle to China was right.
Slides 9-14 kicked off the dialogue of the geopolitical implications of AI. Given each China and Russia have made a AI a nationwide effort, how will AI impression all points of DIME (Diplomatic, Intelligence, Army, and Financial) and nationwide energy? What are the impacts of AI created deep fakes? AI automating picture recognition of satellite tv for pc information? AI creating optimum ideas of operations? AI-tuned cyber-attacks? AI cyber safety? AI sensible/predicative upkeep? and so on. The place will we first see its impacts? What’s going to our response be?
Class Dialogue Questions: (Slide 15)
- How would you characterize the strengths and weaknesses of the U.S.’s AI Technique?
- How would you advise the Biden Administration to pursue an AI Technique?
Subsequent week: Autonomy
- AI and machine studying is a important expertise that can impression all points of DIME (Diplomatic, Intelligence, Army, and Financial) and nationwide energy
- Many of the superior work in AI/ML is occurring in business firms and universities not the DoD
- China and Russia have made AI and machine studying nationwide priorities
- The Protection Innovation Unit (DIU) exists to seek out after which funnel business expertise like AI/ML into the DoD
- The Joint Synthetic Intelligence Heart (JAIC) is the focus of the Division of Protection AI technique
Filed underneath: Expertise Innovation and Fashionable Struggle and Nice Energy Competitors |