This text could comprise references to a few of our promoting companions. Do you have to click on on these hyperlinks, we could also be compensated. For extra about our promoting insurance policies, learn our full disclosure assertion right here.
In case you love touring all through the U.S. and Caribbean, a Southwest Visa card could be for you. Providing simple to earn factors that translate into free and lowered airfare, these are a few of my favourite airline playing cards round.
Southwest Airways has lengthy been recognized for low fares and nice service. With locations all through Mexico, the Caribbean, and Hawaii, it’s an awesome possibility that will help you hit the seashore with out breaking the financial institution.
Moreover, the Southwest Visa features a lot to like for rewards card fans. Along with making your flights even cheaper, the Southwest Visa bank cards supply a ton of advantages that will help you journey in type. And, since there are many private and enterprise playing cards to select from, you’re certain to discover a card that matches your wants.
Let’s verify them out!
Southwest Visa Credit score Card Choices
The Southwest Visa Card truly is available in a number of totally different choices, together with:
Clearly, in case you don’t personal a enterprise, the Southwest Visa enterprise playing cards are out. However, how do you resolve between the opposite choices? Let’s evaluate them and aid you resolve.
Southwest Visa Private Card Comparisons
Let’s begin by evaluating the highlights of the three private playing cards. Right here they’re:
Southwest Speedy Rewards Plus Card Highlights
- Signup Bonus: Earn 40,000 bonus factors if you open a brand new account and spend $1,000 within the first 3 months. In some circumstances, 40K factors is sufficient for 2 round-trip tickets to the Caribbean.
- Anniversary Bonus: You’ll earn a further 3,000 bonus factors in your cardmember anniversary annually.
- (New) Earn Factors for Spending: Earn 2x factors per greenback on all Southwest purchases; 2x factors on native transit and commuting (together with rideshare purchases); 2x factors on web, cable, telephone, and choose streaming providers; and 1 level per greenback on different spending.
- (New) EarlyBird Verify-In: Get pleasure from EarlyBird Verify-In twice per 12 months.
- No Blackout Dates: In contrast to some airline rewards applications, you’ll by no means have to fret about blackout dates at Southwest.
- Fare-based Pricing: You may even use your factors to ebook flights which might be on sale! With Southwest, cheaper fares means fewer factors.
- Free Checked Baggage: Including checked baggage to your flights can actually add up. Southwest lets you verify your first two baggage without cost.
- No Expiration: Your factors don’t expire for so long as you retain your account open.
- Annual Price: $69
That’s a ton of worth packed into one card. It’s merely top-of-the-line airline playing cards in the marketplace.
Southwest Speedy Rewards Premier Card Highlights
- Signup Bonus: Just like the Plus Card, you’ll earn 40,000 bonus factors for spending $1,000 within the first 3 months.
- Anniversary Bonus: The anniversary bonus is greater with the Premier Card, totaling 6,000 level bonus in your cardmember anniversary.
- (New) Earn Factors for Spending: With this card, you’ll earn 3x factors on all Southwest purchases plus the identical 2x factors on transit, cable, telephone, and web providers you earn on the Plus card.
- (New) EarlyBird Verify-In: Once more, you’ll get pleasure from EarlyBird Verify-In two occasions per 12 months.
- No Blackout Dates: As with all Southwest Visa playing cards, there are not any blackout dates.
- Fare-based Pricing: Utilizing factors to ebook flights is predicated on the fare charges.
- Free Checked Baggage: On all Southwest flights, the primary two baggage you verify are free.
- No Expiration: Hold your account open and your factors by no means expire.
- No Overseas Transaction Charges: This card doesn’t cost international transaction charges.
- Annual Price: $99
Clearly, there’s a lot to love about this card too. And, in comparison with different airline playing cards, we expect the factors supply a ton of worth.
Southwest Speedy Rewards Precedence Card Highlights
- Signup Bonus: You may earn the identical signup bonus of as much as 40,000 bonus factors for opening a brand new account. Like the opposite playing cards we’ve talked about, merely make $1,000 in purchases in the course of the the primary 3 months to earn the bonus.
- Anniversary Bonus: Moreover, you’ll earn 7,500 bonus factors annually in your cardmember.
- Journey Credit score: Southwest gives you a $75 journey credit score yearly you’ve got the cardboard.
- Upgraded Boardings: With this card, you’re eligible to obtain 4 upgraded boardings yearly.
- (New) Earn Factors for Spending: Once more, you get 3x factors on all Southwest purchases; 2x factors on native transit (together with rideshare); 2x factors on web, cable, telephone, and choose streaming providers; and 1x factors on all different spending.
- No Overseas Transaction Charges: There are not any charges for utilizing this card whereas touring internationally.
- Annual Price: $149
Though the annual charge is greater than the others, you do get some further perks – significantly the journey credit score – that will make it price it for you.
|Southwest Speedy Rewards Plus||Southwest Speedy Rewards Premier||Southwest Speedy Rewards Precedence|
|Signup Bonus||40,000 factors after spending $1,000 in first 3 months||40,000 factors after spending $1,000 in first 3 months||40,000 factors after spending $1,000 in first 3 months|
|Annual Journey Credit score||$0||$0||$75|
|Anniversary Bonus||3,000 factors annually||6,000 factors annually||7,500 factors annually|
|Overseas Transaction Charges||Sure – 3%||None||None|
Which Southwest Visa is Finest?
As you possibly can see, the Southwest Visa private playing cards include practically an identical advantages. All three private Southwest Visa bank cards supply 40,000 bonus factors for spending $1,000 within the first 3 months. So, for me, the most important distinction between the non-public playing cards comes when evaluating the charges.
Wanting on the charges, the brand new Southwest Speedy Rewards Precedence Card expenses the best annual charge at $149. The Southwest Speedy Rewards Premier Card expenses a $99 annual charge whereas the Southwest Speedy Rewards Plus card has an annual charge of simply $69. Since not one of the charges are waived for the primary 12 months, the Plus will get a slight nod right here.
With that mentioned, the dearer playing cards do include further advantages. The Precedence Card affords an annual bonus of seven,500 factors and an annual journey credit score of $75. This successfully makes the annual charge $74, offered you employ the credit score. Alternatively, the Premier Card comes with an annual anniversary bonus of 6,000 factors versus the three,000 level bonus provided by the Plus Card. That basically makes up for the $30 distinction within the annual charge.
Moreover, each the Precedence and Premier playing cards include no international transaction charges. So, in case you’re touring internationally with Southwest, you should utilize your card when you’re on trip with out incurring further charges. In case you use the Plus card out of the country, nevertheless, every transaction is topic to a 3% international transaction charge.
Lastly, the Precedence and the Premier card now supply 3x factors on Southwest purchases. This isn’t a large deal, however it could actually definitely earn you extra factors in case you fly with Southwest on the common.
So, which card is finest? With the brand new updates, I’m going to go together with the Precedence card. Positive, the annual charge is greater, however the $75 annual Southwest credit score practically offsets that value. While you add within the further earnings on Southwest purchases and no international transaction charges, the Southwest Precedence card is probably going the perfect deal. Nevertheless, in case you fly Southwest completely, you actually can’t go unsuitable with any of those playing cards.
One closing word right here: Previously, you have been in a position to earn a signup bonus for 2 playing cards in the identical 12 months, serving to you to earn factors towards one in every of my favourite perks, the Southwest Companion Move. Sadly, that’s now not the case. On private playing cards, you could not earn a signup bonus in case you’ve earned one within the earlier 24 months. This can be a huge change, and it makes the Companion Move considerably tougher to get.
With that mentioned, in case you are a enterprise proprietor, you should still earn a welcome bonus from each a private and a enterprise card. Extra data on the enterprise variations may be discovered under.
The place These Playing cards Shine
Need to know extra? In fact you do!
As we talked about, proper now, all private variations of the Southwest Visa Card supply 40,000 bonus factors for spending $1,000 within the first 3 months. In some circumstances, 40,000 Southwest factors are good for 2 round-trip flights to the Caribbean, in case you’re versatile.
Though I really like a very good signup bonus, I actually love that redeeming my Speedy Rewards Factors is predicated fully on the precise airfare worth. Southwest flights are sometimes the most affordable accessible, however additionally they run some ridiculous offers all year long.
I’m speaking about home round-trip tickets that sometimes run for lower than $100! And, for the reason that level redemption is fare-based, your factors stretch even additional throughout these gross sales. Plus, there are not any blackout dates or rewards caps. Meaning I can use my factors on any flight with accessible seating…and I can nonetheless verify 2 baggage without cost!
Oh yeah, have I discussed that Southwest now flies to fifteen locations all through Mexico and the Caribbean? It’s true! You need to use your factors to ebook free flights in your total household to locations like Jamaica, Costa Rica, Belize, and Aruba. That’s fairly candy, particularly in case you’re a seashore bum like me.
Southwest additionally flies to Hawaii, which might prevent huge bucks there too!
A Fast Overview of Southwest Enterprise Credit score Playing cards
We’ve talked about the enterprise variations of the Southwest Visa Card a number of occasions. Remember that each the Southwest Speedy Rewards Premier Enterprise Card and the Southwest Speedy Rewards Efficiency Enterprise Card affords most of the similar advantages as its private card counterparts. Fairly than run by means of all the advantages of Southwest factors once more, right here’s a fast overview of their distinctive options.
Southwest Speedy Rewards Premier Enterprise Card Highlights
- Signup Bonus: Earn 60,000 bonus factors for opening a brand new account and spending $3,000 within the first 3 months.
- Anniversary Bonus: Earn a 6,000 level bonus in your cardmember anniversary.
- Earn Factors for Spending: You’ll earn 3x factors for each greenback spent on Southwest purchases and 2x factors for purchases with Speedy Rewards resort and automobile rental companions. Get 1X factors on all the things else.
- Worker Playing cards: Worker playing cards may be added with no further charges. You’ll additionally earn factors on all their spending.
- Annual Price: $99
In addition to the truth that it is a enterprise card, the most important distinction right here is the signup bonus. So, in case you’re trying particularly for an airline card for your online business, you possibly can’t go unsuitable with this card for your online business.
Southwest Speedy Rewards Efficiency Enterprise Card Highlights
- Signup Bonus: Earn 80,000 Speedy Rewards factors after spending $5,000 within the first 3 months.
- Anniversary Bonus: With this card, you’ll get 9,000 bonus factors yearly in your cardmember anniversary.
- Elevated Factors for Spending: The Southwest Efficiency Enterprise Card earns 4x factors on Southwest purchases, 3x factors with Speedy Rewards resort and rental automobile companions, 2x factors for search engine/social media promoting, 2x factors for web/cable/telephone providers, and 1x level on all the things else.
- TSA Precheck/International Entry: With this card, you’ll additionally get a credit score towards paying for International Entry or TSA Precheck charges.
- Upgraded Boardings: You’ll additionally get 4 Upgraded Boardings per 12 months, topic to availability.
- Annual Price: $199
Enterprise homeowners who need an airline card that gives premium advantages ought to think about the Southwest Speedy Rewards Efficiency Enterprise Credit score Card. The cardboard with a hefty but simple to earn signup bonus, plus it helps you earn much more factors in your spending. With free worker playing cards, TSA Precheck/International Entry credit, and upgraded boardings, this card could also be an awesome match for the frequent Southwest enterprise traveler.
Getting the Most From Your Southwest Visa
To get probably the most out of your Southwest Visa Card, remember to use it everytime you ebook journey by means of Southwest or their collaborating resort and rental automobile companions.
Additionally, use your factors to ebook flights after they’re on sale. Since redeeming your factors is predicated on the precise fare worth, you possibly can actually stretch these factors additional. Try our “Newbie’s Information to Credit score Card Rewards” for extra ideas.
Paring your card with a premium rewards card could make an awesome match too!
With the Chase Sapphire Most well-liked Card you’ll earn a 60,000 level signup bonus, however you’ll must spend $4,000 in 3 months to do it. Your Chase rewards switch at a 1:1 ratio to the Speedy Rewards loyalty program.
In case you resolve to not switch them to Southwest, you possibly can switch them to different loyalty applications by means of journey companions like Marriott, Hyatt, IHG, and United Airways. They’re additionally redeemable for reward playing cards at locations like Kohl’s, Residence Depot, Lowe’s, and extra; or, you possibly can redeem them for $750 in journey when booked by means of the Chase portal. There’s a $95 annual charge.
That is nearly at all times the primary rewards card we suggest. The factors are versatile, priceless, and our favourite sort to earn.
What You Could Not Like
Though the Southwest Visa playing cards are a few of our favourite airline playing cards, there are some issues you have to be careful for.
- Annual Charges: Every model of the cardboard has an annual charge ($69/$99/$149 private, $99 Premier Enterprise/$199 Efficiency Enterprise) which isn’t waived. In fact, the signup bonus greater than makes up for it the primary 12 months. Nevertheless, in case you don’t journey a lot or don’t use the factors, the charge will not be price it to you.
- No Flights to Europe or Asia: Though Southwest now travels throughout the U.S., Mexico, and the Caribbean, it doesn’t supply any flights to widespread worldwide locations in Europe or Asia. In case you’re desirous to ebook journey there, you must have a look at different playing cards.
- Factors Don’t Switch: Each time we journey domestically or to the Caribbean with our entire household, Southwest is normally an awesome possibility. Nevertheless, in case you don’t like Southwest or don’t reside close to a Southwest hub, this will not be the cardboard for you. Contemplate different journey rewards playing cards as an alternative.
- No Double Dip for Companion Move – As we talked about earlier, sadly, Southwest up to date its signup bonus coverage regarding their two shopper bank cards. You could now not earn a signup bonus on a second Southwest shopper card in case you’ve earned a brand new member card bonus throughout the earlier 24 months. Whereas incomes factors on the cardboard nonetheless counts towards the move, it makes incomes the Companion Move considerably tougher.
Options to the Southwest Visa Card
Many of the main airways now have their very own co-branded bank cards that let you earn factors and save on flights. Nevertheless, with co-branded playing cards, you’ll solely be capable to use the factors you earn with that specific model of airline. That’s not at all times an issue, nevertheless it could possibly be.
For a extra versatile possibility, think about the Capital One Enterprise Rewards Credit score Card. This card gives a one-time welcome supply of 60,000 miles if you spend $3,000 throughout the first 3 months (price a press release credit score of $600 towards journey bills). You’ll additionally earn 2 miles per greenback on all spending. There’s a $95 annual charge.
Truthfully, these are among the most versatile factors and miles you’ll discover. You need to use the to ebook airline tickets, excursions, and different journey experiences if you pay along with your card.
In case you’re searching for low cost flights all through the U.S., Caribbean, and Mexico, Southwest is a good place to begin. One in every of these playing cards could make it even cheaper.
With a Southwest Visa Card, factors are simple to earn and the advantages are tremendous strong. Since factors are tied to airfare costs, you should utilize them to save lots of much more throughout gross sales. And, you’ll positively wish to pair it with one other card to earn much more factors.
In case you do all that, you’ll save huge bucks when flying with Southwest!